Monday, April 14, 2008

Them 'Bones,' Them 'Bones,' Them Dry 'Bones'

One of my favorite procedurals, "Bones" (Fox, 8 p.m.) returns tonight with a brand-new episode.

I bring this up because it's hard to think of a drama that has had the success that "Bones" has had considering how much the network yanks it around the schedule. But as star David Boreanaz pointed out in a phone interview Friday, the "Bones" audience is particularly loyal.

"We've proven that whatever day we're on, the fans will follow," he said.

What makes "Bones" so enjoyable for me, and I think for other fans of the series, is the appeal of the characters. Much like "NCIS" on CBS, we've come to care more about the characters than we do about the forensic mystery each week, in large part because the chemistry of the cast is so good. And, much like "NCIS," both shows know how to lighten things up.

Of course, the big question on "Bones" is whether the two leads, Boreanaz's FBI agent Booth and Temperance Brennan (Emily Deschanel) will get together romantically. Boreanaz had an interesting response to that.

"I think they already are," he said. "The two characters drive the plotlines, which brings them closer together or pulls them apart."

Boreanaz pointed to the now-famous kiss between the two during the show's Christmas episode this season. Much like everyting else on "Bones," it was unconventional: they kiss because they are essentially dared to.

But that doesn't mean the two characters will jump into bed any time soon.

"We're not at a place where we're going to go the whole nine (yards)," he said. "We're going to keep teasing."

Boreanaz said the serial killer plot thread the show has revolved around most of the season will be resolved. It had to be altered slightly because of the strike. Initially, when it looked as if the season would be cut short, it was going to be a two-part cliffhanger, but with additional episodes added on after the strike, the producers altered their plans slightly.

Also, expect more of the young shrink Sweets to be in the mix -- and don't expect Booth to stop teasing him any time soon about his age, Boreanaz said.

"Sweets fits in perfectly," he said. "It's a great idea to see (Bones and Booth) going through therapy."

MONDAY'S BEST BETS: Following "Bones" is the season finale of "New Amsterdam" (Fox, 9 p.m.), a series that has become pretty enjoyable and I hope gets renewed.

CBS is all-new with its comedy lineup, followed by a new "CSI: Miami" at 10 p.m.

"Samantha Who?" (ABC, 9:30 p.m.) is all-new, in the plum timeslot between "Dancing With The Stars" and "The Bachelor."

5 comments:

AlexR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I like "Bones" a lot and it has perservered despite being treated at times like the redheaded stepchild at Fox. It will always be amazing to me that a quality series with good acting and strong writing, can't even get half the audience on Fox of a karaoke contest that "Idol" is, but this will continue to be the question that puzzles me, continuously.

I like "Amsterdam" but I don't love it. You clearly like it a LOT more than I do and if it doesn't get renewed, so be it. I am a lot more concerned about the FAR more interesting, "Sarah Conner Chronicles", so to each their own. I think the lead actor is OK, but the show is kinda dull in parts.

Phillip Ramati said...

I'm also rooting for SCC to make it to renewal.

Jonathan said...

You would think CW wouldn't think twice about giving their two best shows (After Supernatural of course) another chance. And this isn't just me talking; those two have to be the best reviewed shows on the network, and might be the top two reviewed new shows of the season.

Not necessarilly a fan, although I have paid some attention to it, I find it odd that "Women's Murder Club" is on the possible chopping block. I had heard it was doing well, especially for Friday nights.

Phillip Ramati said...

I'm hoping Aliens in America gets another shot. I'm pretty indifferent about Reaper.