Thursday, April 10, 2008

Save Your Favorite Shows

The fans of the CBS vampire drama "Moonlight" are ripping off the campaign "Angel" fans came up with a few years ago to save their show. Fans are in the process of organizing a massive blood drive on a certain day as a means of stirring publicity in order to save the series.

While it's a good idea (and a worthy cause, no matter the outcome) it didn't save "Angel" a few years ago, and CBS, which is still picking up peanut shells from the "Jericho" campaign, may not be in the mood to rescue another low-rated cult favorite series after "Jericho" returned to lower ratings.

Regardless, Rick Kushman of our sister paper, The Sacramento Bee, has helpfully listed what are the presumed bubble shows for next season and who to send your letters to. In NBC's case, they have already announced next year's schedule, which includes picking up "Friday Night Lights."

As for the rest of the networks, here are some shows that can use some support. These are the bubble shows, and in no way am I endorsing their renewal or cancellation, which is why I'm listing "Boston Legal," for example, which I personally would love to be rid of:

ABC: "Eli Stone," "Men in Trees," "Boston Legal," "Cashmere Mafia," "October Road," "Women’s Murder Club."
—Contact: Stephen McPherson, president of entertainment, 2300 Riverside Drive, Burbank, CA 91521.

CBS: "Moonlight," "The New Adventures of Old Christine," "Rules of Engagement," "Shark," The Unit."
—Contact: Nina Tassler, president of entertainment, 4024 Radford Ave., Studio City, CA 91604.

CW: "Aliens In America," "Reaper."
—Contact: Dawn Ostroff, president of entertainment, 3300 W. Olive Ave., third floor, Burbank, CA 91505.

Fox: "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," "Back to You," "New Amsterdam," "Til Death," "Unhitched."
—Contact: Kevin Reilly, president of entertainment, P.O. Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213.

You may actually also want to contact ABC for "Old Christine" and "Scrubs." As I reported earlier, the network is considering both shows if they are not renewed by their previous networks. Thanks to Rick Kushman for putting the list together.

R.I.P. STANLEY KAMEL: The veteran character actor, perhaps best known as the long-suffering shrink on "Monk," died yesterday at age 65 from an apparent heart attack. The Dr. Kroger episodes tended to be my favorite ones on "Monk," and Kamel was a quality actor in whatever he appeared.

THURSDAY'S BEST BETS: Tonight, we discover the winner of a much talked-about reality series. I speak of course of "MILF Island," the show within a show that has become the cornerstone of "30 Rock" (NBC, 8:30 p.m.) this season. There's some clever counterpoint in the writing tonight as Liz (Tina Fey) faces a dilemma in dealing with Jack as the fictional reality show draws to a close. It anchors an all-new night of comedy, starting with "My Name Is Earl" at 8 p.m. and followed by new episodes of "The Office" and "Scrubs," plus a new "ER" at 10 p.m.

I neglected to mention last Sunday's return of "Desperate Housewives." In case you missed it, ABC is rerunning it at 9 p.m., followed by a new "Eli Stone" at 10 p.m.

New episodes of "CSI" (CBS, 9 p.m.) and "Without a Trace" (CBS, 10 p.m.) hit the air as well, and "American Idol" (Fox, 8 p.m.) boots another contestant in a less-sexy way than MILF Island does.

2 comments:

zodin2008 said...

First & foremost, R.I.P., Stanley Kamel. Very sad news a very fine actor. I will always thik of him specifically for 2 TV shows: as the great Dr. Kroeger on "Monk", and as Mob Boss Tony Marchette on "90210".

I am surprised by the news about "Moonlight" being 'on the bubble' - I had heard it was fine.

As for "Eli Stone", I am enjoying it and would watch it if it returned, but wouldn't be horrified if it didn't. I would also watch ANY show that ever hires the fantastic Victor Garber, who will always most fondly be Jack Bristow of "Alias".

He's wonderful on "Stone" as the head of the firm, and was wonderful last year as the celebrity head lawyer on Fox's short lived but solid series, "Justice".

As for "New Amsterdam", I think the show is decent, but I am not sure I'd watch it if it came back. I find myself bored for long stretches of each episode. I actually find the lead actor uninteresting, and his Dutch accent is hard to cover. The CSI/police procedural stuff is my least favorite part of each episode.

I am far more intrigued when they rip off "Angel" or now "Moonlight" and go into Amsterdam's interesting and historic backstory.

I think it's interesting as well that from the time the show was first announced 1 year ago (but ultimately didn't make it onto Fox's fall schedule since it seemed identical to "Moonlight" which did make it for CBS) that originally, Amsterdam was supposed to bge a vampire.

I had read that while the show was waiting to premier all those months, they were 'tweaking it' and maybe they felt the Vamp thing was so overdone, they decided to nix him actually being one, and instead made him more 'Highlander without any real fighting skills', which he's just immortal but that's it, kinda dull.

At least with the Highlander character or say with Mick on "Moonlight" or Angel/Angelus on Buffy-Angel, there was a riicher texture to those characters - particularly Angel (thank you, Joss Whedon).

As for "Scrubs", I am a fan but far less so the last few years. Like with "Eli Stone", if it shows up on the ABC schedule, I'll watch it. If it goes away finally, I am at peace with it. I won't fight for either show, but would watch them if they come back - same with "Moonlight".

The only show I have ever actually FOUGHT FOR that went before its time was in fact, "Angel".

Hotspur said...

Sorry to see "Women's Murder Club" and "Shark" on the bubble.

I agree Stanley Kamel was a very fine actor. He had a short life.