Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Venting A Little Bit

This post is dedicated to the woman who called me this morning about getting Oprah tickets.

Check that. This post is dedicated to the idiotic, illiterate woman who called me AT HOME this morning about getting Oprah tickets.

Here's why I wish people who read the paper would actually take the time to READ the paper:

The Telegraph does NOT have Oprah tickets. (If we did, we'd probably scalp them.) We have no information about getting tickets. All of the tickets are GONE. So quit asking!

The little blurb we ran in the paper about me and Oprah fans asks one question: Why are you the biggest Oprah fan? That's all I want to know. There is an e-mail address provided. You only have to e-mail me once, not six times like one woman did yesterday. And no, she isn't getting tickets, either.

I said, very specifically, DO NOT CALL ME. If I don't want to speak to you at my office, in what possible Bizarro universe do you possibly think I would want to speak to you at my home?

Since apparently what I am typing must come out in Urdu on your home computers, I will type this again very slowly.

DO. NOT. CALL. ME. ABOUT. OPRAH. I. DO. NOT. HAVE. ANY. INFORMATION. ABOUT. TICKETS.

And, I have caller ID at home. So, if anyone else has the bright idea of calling me about Oprah tickets, be warned that I am not a nice person, nor particularly amiable.

MORE VENTING: Since I had to cover the election last night, I set the VCR to record two of my favorite shows, "Bones" and "House." I get home and find out I've set the wrong channel.

No biggy, I thought. I'll just go over to Fox.com and watch the episodes online.

So, I click on "House," and the little screen tells me that Tuesday's episode won't be posted FOR EIGHT DAYS. Are you frakkin' kidding me? I have to wait until next week's episode has aired before I get a shot at watching this week's?

Every other network, the latest installment of every series is usually posted within 24 hours of the initial airing. Apparently, that's not the deal with Fox.

Bloody brilliant.

WEDNESDAY'S BEST BETS: OK, so I'm in a bit of a bad mood, and it's not helped by the fact that two of my favorite new shows, "Pushing Daisies" and "Dirty Sexy Money," have been yanked for the CMA Awards (ABC, 8 p.m.) The 800 music award shows that seem to air every year are far and away some of the most annoying things on TV.

At least, CBS is all new with "Kid Nation," "Criminal Minds" and "CSI:NY." Sadly, I watch none of those shows, so I really don't care.

Enjoy Fox sitcoms "Back To You" and "Til Death" while you can. If my math is correct, these should be the last first-run episodes while the WGA strike is going on. Filming on both shows stopped this week, and because sitcoms tape within a week of their airing, those shows will run out of new episodes either this week or next. But hey, if you miss them tonight, you can always catch them eight days later online. They are followed by "Kitchen Nightmares" (Fox, 9 p.m.)

Finally, "Bionic Woman" (NBC, 9 p.m.) returns after a week off, as "Phenomenon" is limiting itself to an hour these days. "Life" (NBC, 10 p.m.) is also new.

8 comments:

Jonathan said...

I would check FOX again today, because I've watched a lot of their shows on-line and they are always available the next day, but I don't watch "House," so maybe there is something different about it.

Oh, and can I get some Oprah tickets? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope the rest of your day goes well.

Phillip Ramati said...

Well, I'll check again. I didn't bother with Bones once I saw the House posting. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

have you ever watched Criminal Minds? you should give it a try if you haven't; it's one of the best shows on TV. tonight is the second one with Joe Mantegna (replaced Mandy Patinkin) so it could be a bit tough jumping in tho.

Phillip Ramati said...

Marilea, I haven't watched Criminal Minds. I'm not a huge fan of procedurals, and only limit myself to Bones, NCIS, House and Shark. And House is more about the characters than the medical mystery.

But Criminal Minds does have a big following out there, and (without having seen the show) I think Joe Mantegna is a great choice to replace Mandy Patinkin, because he's always an interesting actor onscreen.

Feel free to be our new Criminal Minds correspondent!

Anonymous said...

Can you send me 4 tickets to Oprah?
Being retired the money received for scalping will be most welcome.
CHEER UP !!!!

Anonymous said...

Phillip, I am sorry your are having a bad day. Maybe you should go on Oprah's show and talk about your feelings? (Sorry, I can't help but kick a fella when he's down.)

I do have a few questions about this very inconvenient strike.
What do you think are the possibilities some of the networks will pull shows from their stable of cable channels to air on the nets? For instance, I know that NBC could pull anything from USA or Sci-Fi (among others). ABC could use things like Kyle XY (although they pulled it early last summer from airing on the network). It seems to me as if re-airing these shows might gain a few of them a bigger audience once the strike ends.

Where do these producers who also write fit into the strike? What about comedians who write their own material for a show?

Sorry so many questions but I figure that since the most mundane election in Macon's history is now over, you might have a bunch of free time. That is if you are not too busy operating the Oprah Ticket Line.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, Phillip, you'll cheer up this Saturday when the Dawgs kick some Auburn butt at Sanford Stadium (hopefully).

Two words: Knowshon Moreno

Phillip, not sure why Fox would say what they say, but usually it's a day later they post there stuff. That's the entire way I have been watching the soon-to-be-cancelled "K-Ville".

I don't blame Phillip for not watching "Criminal Minds". I have no interest in it normally, but for a good two years, it played opposite one of the best shows on Television, "Lost", so I really didn't care about and still don't - and that goes for ALL CBS procedurals...snore....

Phillip Ramati said...

If I get Oprah tickets, I'm definitely scalping them.

Some good questions, Bob. Sometimes, the networks have run some of their cable fare on the regular networks over the summer, to mixed results. Certainly, NBC (Bravo, Sci-Fi, USA), ABC (ABC Family), CBS (all of the Time-Warner stations) and Fox (FX) have plenty of fare to choose from, and they will need to fill the open hours somehow.

Certainly, a reality show like Project Runway could be a great boost to NBC during the strike, but is the network worried about losing viewers from Bravo?

The behind-the-camera talent is another matter. Talking to many producers and writers at the Austin Film Festival last month, they all pointed out that for TV, they are essentially striking against themselves, since the producers are also the writers.

It becomes a fine balance in terms of trying to finish out the shows with completed scripts, but not crossing the picket lines.

Take Tina Fey, for example. As the lead writer for 30 Rock, she is honoring the picket lines by not writing. But as showrunner and lead actress, she is contractually obligated to film the scripts that are completed. But she can't change any jokes during the filming that fall flat.

A comic like Jay Leno, for example, may contribute a joke or two to the nightly monologue, but he can't do the whole monologue himself every night. And if he tried, he would essentially be crossing the picket lines, something most of the late-night hosts aren't willing to do.

In a way, though, the number of high-profile actors who have joined the picket lines as well as the number of shows that have ceased production is good, in the sense that it will put more pressure for both sides to settle quickly.