Thursday, March 27, 2008

Admitting I Was Wrong

I'm a big enough person to admit when I am wrong (rare though that is).

When "Celebrity Apprentice" (NBC, 9 p.m.) first debuted a couple of months ago, I was pretty derisive and snickering in my comments. Usually, "all-star" versions of so-called reality shows are among the worst installments.

But you know what? "Celebrity Apprentice" has been pretty entertaining this season. Somehow, the producers have made it all work.

Sure, it does seem fixed somewhat in that Omarosa should have been fired the first week but somehow made it to the final six, despite complete incompentance and obnoxiousness. Sure, some of the "celebrity" picks (Nadia Comenchi anyone?) were pretty lame.

But Piers Morgan has been a star, Carol Alt still lights up any room she's in, and people like Trace Adkins and Stephen Baldwin have been entertaining. The boardroom sessions, in which Donald Trump fires a candidate, have been some of the best in the entire series.

In fact, other than keeping Omarosa around for way too long, my lone regret was Gene Simmons essentially quitting the show in the first few episodes. Simmons was hilarious and the one person on the planet whose ego trumped Trump's. (Seeing Trump practically beg Simmons to reconsider his actions made for one of the best boardrooms ever).

"Celebrity Apprentice" wraps up tonight with a two-hour finale as Morgan and Adkins square off for their respective charities. It should be a fun ride.

THURSDAY'S BEST BETS: Oy, what am I going to do with "Lost" for the next few weeks? ABC is re-airing the season premiere tonight, sandwiched by new two new episodes of "Miss Guided" at 8 p.m. and "Eli Stone" at 10 p.m.

"Smallville" (CW, 8 p.m.) and "Reaper" (CW, 9 p.m.) are both new.

Finally, the NCAA basketball tournament (CBS, 7 p.m.), or what I like to term, a waste of $5, resumes tonight and runs through the weekend before next weekend's Final Four.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phillip...where were you yesterday? You didn't even acknowledge missing a Blog session in the opening paragraph?

I will take your word for it that 'Celebrity Apprentice' was entertaining. I am perfectly content that I missed every second of it and will miss the finale.

What I DO miss is "Lost". It's such a superior show to the other Thursday offerings I watch; Miss Guided, Smallville and Eli Stone, that the new few weeks will be let down.

Of course, next week, "Battlestar Galactica" returns and shortly after that, we start getting the return of "Supernatural" and those great NBC Thursday comedies like "The Office", "30 Rock" and "Scrubs". Once we have all those shows, plus "Lost", plus "Ugly Betty", Thursday will be overloaded with great TV.

Phillip Ramati said...

I had a very time-consuming story on the Ga. Sports Hall of Fame and Music Hall of Fame in today's paper that took up all of my day and then some.

But if you looked at Wednesday's TV offerings, I don't think anyone missed anything.

Anonymous said...

(sigh) Phillip, Phillip, Phillip. Wanna know the secret to losing credibility? Confess to liking reality TV. That $#@! sucks.

Phillip Ramati said...

Well, anon, it's nice to know I had credibility in the first place!

You can't write off any genre of TV as good or bad out of hand. Am I a reality fan in general? No.

But are there shows in that genre I like? I've always talked about The Amazing Race favorably, because it's fun to see adventures in other parts of the world. And The Apprentice, when it's on its game, is rarely dull.

And though I'm not a fan, there is certainly an audience for shows like American Idol, Dancing With The Stars and The Bachelor.

As I've stated here a lot, it comes down to individual taste.