Friday, October 20, 2006

Just Don't Say Anything To Me About The Mets, OK?

It's been best of times, it's been the worst of times, at least over the past 24 hours.

I got to see the premiere of Jake Kasdan's new film, "The TV Set" Thursday night, then met the writer-director himself after the screening. More on that in tomorrow's posting.

Then I went to a bar and watched a baseball game. The less said, the better.

I'm having a good couple of days, spending a lot of time with other socially inept, self-obsessed screenwriters, so that's been a blast.

But then I check my e-mail today to find that NBC is no longer going to be scheduling original dramas and sitcoms in the 8 p.m. timeslot, instead going with game shows and cheap reality programming. I blame society in general; if more people would watch what I tell them to watch, this wouldn't be happening.

Check back in over the weekend for words and pictures (gasp!) from the Austin Film Festival.

WEEKEND'S BEST BETS: "Kidnapped" (NBC, 9 p.m.) returns to the air on Saturday, so this is your chance to send NBC a message and let them know there is still a place for high-quality drama. You have 10 episodes to do it in before the show is yanked.

The wankers at A&E have finally gotten around to showing "MI-5" once more. There is an all-day marathon beginning at 11 a.m. and running eight episodes. Sorry, I shouldn't say wankers. I meant to say bloody stupid wankers. Anyway, what these programming geniuses at the most inaccurately named network on the dial fail to realize is that "MI-5" is TV's best and most realistic spy show. My recommendation is to enjoy the ride.

Finally, Game 1 of the World Series (Fox, 8 p.m.) throws its first pitch Saturday night. I won't be watching.

1 comment:

Phillip Ramati said...

Five seconds after a posted this - literally - I just bumped into Michael Ian Black ("Ed"), who wrote and directed a film that will be coming out soon and is a panelist here. He's a nice guy, BTW.