Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Yet More Quick Hits

I'm off today, but still updating...

It looks as if "Journeyman" is pretty much toast after NBC failed to pick up its option on the show. The network will burn off the remaining couple of episodes, so hopefully, we may get a bit of resolution.

It's probably too late to do any good, but you can go to savejourneyman.net to see the online effort to save the show. ...

"High School Musical 2" broke so many records when it aired over the summer that Disney has decided to make "High School Musical 3" for the theatres. Fear not, I'm sure the network will also show it on the small screen as well...

Despite the writers' strike and all, ABC has decided that "Big Shots" is so bad that it has yanked the series despite having three new episodes on the shelves. If only ABC could have figured that out over the summer. ...

WEDNESDAY'S BEST BETS: The only really good thing to watch tonight is "Pushing Daisies" (ABC, 8 p.m.) It's followed by the pilot episodes of "Private Practice" and "Dirty Sexy Money," so now is your chance to catch up.

CBS is all-new with "Kids Nation," "Criminal Minds" and "CSI:NY."

Finally, I suppose I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the debut of "Crowned: The Mother of All Pageants" (CW, 9 p.m.), in which moms and daughters compete in a reality-show beauty contest. Writers, please return soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will hit that "Journeyman" site and at least contribute but it does appear to be toast. What a shame. The show has been absolutely stellar the last several episodes.

But I will say this now for the umpteenth time - what is wrong with most TV viewers? Why do they continue to watch dreck like "Dancing with the Stars" and "CSI: Miami", to completely less interesting and inferior shows, and continue to ignore something interesting, different and compelling like "Journeyman"? It's a mystery to me.

As for tonight, I am wondering if I should watch the "Dirty Sexy Money" pilot and try and catch back up because I have seen such stellar reviews and I am always a fan of most of Peter Krause's (and Donald Sutherland's) small screen work.

Plus, now that it appears the strike is not being ended anytime soon and heading well into 2008, I am now resigned to go back and dust off my old DVD's.

Oh and for the record, the WGA and the writers completely disgust me. The producers union have tried to come to the table several times and offer fair deals, and the writer's haven't even tried to work on a compromise. They are so busy trying to make a point, the losres in all this are those blue collar workers with families who do stage lighting and are production assistants, as well as the millions of us who won't be able to watch a new episode of "Chuck" or "24" anytime soon.

The 40-50% of 'sympathy' I held for the writers and their side is gone. I have zero respect for them and I am just livid that this trike is going to continue to shut down Hollywood and a lot of hardworking, blue collar TV workers now have no income to feed their children, while slacker writers will just go back to wait tables like most of them were doing anyway - since a lot of these guys don't have families to support.

I am downright disgusted. The writer's behavior is completely shameful.

Jonathan said...

It does stink that "Journeyman" is getting the axe most likely, but at the same time at least it looks like "Chuck" and "Life" will be sticking around for a little longer. I'm a little more suprised about "Journeyman" getting cancelled since there is a good chance that a lot of new shows will not be ready to air by next fall, so why not stick with more of what you have right now. I guess they figure they can always throw a reality show or some such nonsense in that time slot.

Although, since NBC's attempt at the 3 ring circus of genre shows on Mondays didn't work out too well for them, I wouldn't be suprised if "Chuck" and "Heroes" eventually get moved to different nights, and NBC tries something different with their Monday night line-up.

"Dirty Sexy Money" is worth checking out, Zod. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, although I'm not as big on it as most people are. Still, it's quite a bit of fun, and Donald Sutherland and Peter Krause are great.

The writer's strike encouraged me to go out and actually buy a Blu-Ray player since I figured I would have a lot more time on my hands to watch some movies. I've enjoyed it quite a bit; just watched the HD version of "Close Encounters" the other night; awesome stuff.

As for "Crowned," I have never been more creeped out in my life. Do we really want to promote something as sick and disturbing as Beauty Pageants? Who am I kidding; of course we do. Scary stuff.

Phillip Ramati said...

You're buying into a lot of the studios' PR. Actually, it was the studios who came in with the take-it-or-leave-it deal, then walked away before the WGA even had a chance to respond.

Since the writers aren't getting paid at all during this, it's in their best interest to settle quickly.

DSM has been one of the more solid shows of the new season.