Friday, October 12, 2007

A Club Worth Joining?

Sorry for the late update, but hey, this is my vacation.

When I first got the pilot for "Women's Murder Club," (ABC, 9 p.m.), I can't say I was too excited. Based upon a series of popular mysteries by James Patterson, the series centers around four women - a cop, a coroner, a D.A., and a reporter - who work together to solve crimes and their own social problems.

For me, it looked like it was going to be "CSI" meets "Desperate Housewives."

But you know what? The show isn't half-bad. I was more entertained than I thought I would be. Is this appointment viewing every week? No. But it's not a waste of an hour either, and could find a place for itself on Fridays.

MORE TREK CASTING: Simon Pegg will play engineer Montgomery Scott in the new Star Trek film, while John Cho will reportedly play Sulu, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Pegg is a terrific actor who should be a good addition to the cast. As for Cho, it's an OK choice, but I think JJ Abrams missed an obvious opportunity - James Kyson Lee, who plays Ando on "Heroes" alongside original Sulu George Takei.

FRIDAY'S BEST BETS: If you were disappointed by "The O.C." turn that "Friday Night Lights" (NBC, 9 p.m.) took last week, I can only tell you the series returns to its strong dramatic roots over the next two episodes. And while the dumping of the body by Tyra and Landry was a ridiculous plot point, it does lead to some great moments between the two characters. And Mrs. Coach (Connie Britton) has some great scenes of post-partum depression that reminds us why Britton is the most underrated actress on TV.

I'd say "Moonlight" (CBS, 9 p.m.) is one of the biggest disappointments of the season, but then, my expectations weren't very high to begin with. It's followed by a brand-new "Numb3rs" at 10 p.m.

I don't have access to a TV schedule right now, so you guys on your own for the rest of the weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip to Austin!

Anonymous said...

re: casting of Sulu for the new Trek movie. due to the shooting schedule of Heroes, it is entirely likely that James Kyson Lee was not available for the film. film shooting is scheduled for November thru I think April, and the TV show would also be shooting during this time.

misty said...

Having read the books, I was looking forward to "Murder Club." But, of course, I was working Friday night and missed it. Good to know it exceeded expectations. I'll try to catch the pilot in reruns; in the meantime, TiVo!

Phillip Ramati said...

Canada, Lee should have the same shooting schedule as Heroes co-star Zachary Quinto, who is playing Spock in the movie.

Misty, check out ABC.com if you want to catch up on any missed episodes.